Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#22 GameManXD

GameManXD

Crazy-head

• SDC Member+++
  • 535 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

These seem like great features, if you ask me you should always be able to lock your own thread. It shouldn't have been a feature, but a core-ability.

Honestly, I can't remember it being a feature before. Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe SDC is...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:43 PM

These seem like great features, if you ask me you should always be able to lock your own thread. It shouldn't have been a feature, but a core-ability.

Honestly, I can't remember it being a feature before. Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe SDC is...

In the past certain member groups (such as blues and donors) could open/close threads.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#24 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:11 PM

Oh, okay, why is this? (that we can't reopen)

Because peopleDarth told me that Human was abusing the feature by re-opening his own topics that got locked by him, even though they were unfairly locked multiple times. If people need a topic opening they can talk to a mod.

I bet this was Darth's idea. My topics got unfairly locked by him with no warning. Just because a moderator doesn't know what kind of topics they should lock, doesn't mean we have to get a feature removed. I don't want to annoy a moderator or administrator to re-open my topic. It will take a lot of time for a moderator or administrator to take notice and reopen it.

#25 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:29 PM

I bet this was Darth's idea. My topics got unfairly locked by him with no warning. Just because a moderator doesn't know what kind of topics they should lock, doesn't mean we have to get a feature removed. I don't want to annoy a moderator or administrator to re-open my topic. It will take a lot of time for a moderator or administrator to take notice and reopen it.

Nope, it was my idea. The previous feature was never interned to be used to open threads locked by mods, it's just we couldn't allow people to lock their own threads without also allowing them to unlock them (without a mod/hack).

h8BphmP.png

#26 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 06:51 PM

Nope, it was my idea. The previous feature was never interned to be used to open threads locked by mods, it's just we couldn't allow people to lock their own threads without also allowing them to unlock them (without a mod/hack).

Wouldn't it have been easier to just warn the people who have opened their own topics? It's really stupid that you then have to make a new topic with some slight changes. I know you can ask a moderator to open it but by then other users would already have seen and read the flaws in it, confusing them. I haven't seen anybody abusing the re-open topic feature. I wouldn't call mine abuse. In fact, Darth was abusing his powers to lock my topics. I know they were mistakes, but when I tried to fix his mistake, I get told that I should let it go and forget about it. Then Darth comes out with "You complain about the silliest things" to his defence.

Here's what PoultyChamp told me:

Human,

When a moderator closes a topic or otherwise modifies it they usually have a reason to do so. If you re-open or unlock the topic using the limited mod powers you have, that constitutes abuse of those powers. I am messaging you this because it's happened before. I would like you to instead contact the moderator who locked your topic to ask why it was locked, and to ask if it could be unlocked.

This, of course, does not apply if you locked the topic. We give SDC Member++++'s this ability so they can lock/unlock their own topics in case of a vacation, argument or other reason where it may be appropriate to use those powers.

You won't get an official warning, but further abusing the mod powers will result in them being taken away.

#27 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:24 PM

Human,

When a moderator closes a topic or otherwise modifies it they usually have a reason to do so. If you re-open or unlock the topic using the limited mod powers you have, that constitutes abuse of those powers. I am messaging you this because it's happened before. I would like you to instead contact the moderator who locked your topic to ask why it was locked, and to ask if it could be unlocked.

This, of course, does not apply if you locked the topic. We give SDC Member++++'s this ability so they can lock/unlock their own topics in case of a vacation, argument or other reason where it may be appropriate to use those powers.

You won't get an official warning, but further abusing the mod powers will result in them being taken away.

That confirms what you're being told. When she referred to arguments, she meant arguments in threads, not arguments with moderators.

When a moderator closes a topic or otherwise modifies it they usually have a reason to do so. If you re-open or unlock the topic using the limited mod powers you have, that constitutes abuse of those powers.

Couldn't really be clearer.

Posted Image

#28 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Darth Irule

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

Human,

That confirms what you're being told. When she referred to arguments, she meant arguments in threads, not arguments with moderators.

When a moderator closes a topic or otherwise modifies it they usually have a reason to do so. If you re-open or unlock the topic using the limited mod powers you have, that constitutes abuse of those powers.

And people were abusing it so we took it away. :adminpower:

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#29 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:10 AM

I have yet to see any abuse. I don't want to bother anyone. I really hate bothering others. "Hey, can you re-open the topic I locked?" "Hey, can you re-open the topic you locked out of the blue?". If the person who made the topic isn't aware of something bad(againts the rules) that they are putting in their topic, they should first get told of it by somebody and fix it. Not a rushed lock, having to make another topic.

The only way to abuse this is re-opening a topic that the moderators have closed a lot of times. Plus, just because somebody abused it, doesn't mean the feature has to be removed. There are people who use the edit feature. If somebody abused it by changing their posts a lot of times to something vulgar then nice again, that doesn't have to mean it needs to get removed. What's happening is that you're taking away some of the limited moderator power we have. I obviously want it. I know that the world won't end without it, but removing something out of the blue(lol) is stupid. I understood the bump feature temporary removal. Heck, I think you'll take it away if somebody uses it a lot on one of their topics. Then you'll keep on telling us to say something meaningful everytime to bump it.

#30 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

It's part of a mods job to do stuff like that for others.

And the topic creator might have not done something wrong but the topic itself might have gone off topic and is just all spam ect. In which case it gets closed if it doesnt stop.

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#31 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:22 AM

And the topic creator might have not done something wrong but the topic itself might have gone off topic and is just all spam ect. In which case it gets closed if it doesnt stop.

No, Darth. The spam gets removed the first time and if it continues then the topic should get locked. It's unfair to the topic creator that their topic gets locked because some douchebags got in a flame war. If the topic creator did the spam, then it should be removed.

#32 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:25 AM

No, Darth. The spam gets removed the first time and if it continues then the topic should get locked. It's unfair to the topic creator that their topic gets locked because some douchebags got in a flame war. If the topic creator did the spam, then it should be removed.

That's what I said.

If the spam continues the topic gets locked.

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#33 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:29 AM

That's what I said.

If the spam continues the topic gets locked.

You did? Maybe I didn't notice that you made an edit. I think I replied to you with the original post, that's were the confusion must have started. I'm pretty sure you didn't mention it before.

#34 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#35 Tom

Tom

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,261 posts
  • Jagex Name:Thestellar

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:32 PM

Quick question, I've see a few topics that are pretty old that have been closed by the author. However, the author is a guest, so how does that work? Does it mean any guest can close a topic started by a guest?

Posted Image

#36 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:36 PM

Quick question, I've see a few topics that are pretty old that have been closed by the author. However, the author is a guest, so how does that work? Does it mean any guest can close a topic started by a guest?

Possibly, I've not tried. It could be that it's only search engine spiders can do it. In any case it is a forum quirk and not that important as there aren't that many threads by guests.

h8BphmP.png

#37 Tom

Tom

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 04:38 PM

Possibly, I've not tried. In any case it is a forum quirk and not that important as there aren't that many threads by guests.

I couldn't see any option to do it as a guest or as a myself. So spiders might be the answer.

No it's not a big problem, just a bit annoying to keep seeing these old threads bumped up.

Also regarding the close your own topic thing, do blues still have the feature of closing your topic without a reply?

Posted Image

#38 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 15 April 2011 - 06:01 PM

Also regarding the close your own topic thing, do blues still have the feature of closing your topic without a reply?

No they don't because the option to close only comes with the option to open.

h8BphmP.png

#39 Tom

Tom

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Is there any possibility that the blues close and open feature will be added back? You said how people abused this, it's a shame that a few have abused this feature. Could it not be added and anybody abusing it removed from the group because they broke the abuse of privileged power rule.

Posted Image

#40 Edwin

Edwin

Ed5's Account

• Shadow Master
  • 21 posts
  • Staff Position:Ed5's second account
  • Jagex Name:N.A

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:55 PM

What do you need open? Just pm a mod/admin we really have no problem opening threads.
Ed5 HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users