112 replies to this topic

#21 ProMetaAnaTelo

ProMetaAnaTelo

Eggroll Prince

• 3,909 posts
  • Jagex Name:TomRedwood

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:52 PM

I SHOULD HAVE GOTTEN YOUR VIDEO EDITOR POSITION

At least you had some sort of reason to apply.

The only thing I could have imagined applying for was looking pretty.

#22 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

I love the video :) It's so tantalizing and sexy!

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#23 Bladepaul

Bladepaul

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Just by participating in this topic, I feel fresh, invigorated, ready to start my day. I feel as if I have done good for the world.

For science.

"losing respect for Jagex?" My respect for Jagex has been at negitive infinity for a long time now, so it's mathematically impossible for me to lose anymore.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌  Copy and paste him
/ \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!

#24 I

I

Legit an Admin

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:41 PM

So in summary: "Nothing's happening now, but stuff will probably happen later. Also, we got a icon." Why did it take four people so long to say that LOL?

A chickmunk ate out my sparkplug wires.

#25 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

If you have seen the progress, you would completely rethink your post, I.

Posted Image

#26 I

I

Legit an Admin

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:54 PM

If you have seen the progress, you would completely rethink your post, I.

What progress? I've been here since '08 and we've gone from MechScape World to Stellar Dawn Central and an icon. That's glacial drift progress.

A chickmunk ate out my sparkplug wires.

#27 Orbie

Orbie

Spherical Deity

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,511 posts
  • Jagex Name:Orb Master44

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

New logo...MMMM YEAH *pants heavily*.

It's pretty good.

And I feel like there's a typo towards the end of Ren's article, but I just re-read it and couldn't find it. Too many drugs I guess. Anyway, the editing is magnificent.

#28 xxshady

xxshady

Consigliere

• SDC Member+++
  • 965 posts
  • Jagex Name:xxshady

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

Good article, but won't our content just mirror the Stellar Dawn Wiki's content in the future?

#29 Zen

Zen

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 297 posts
  • Jagex Name:Zenorrath

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:33 PM

Well written but sad to see that the vote didn't matter at all because the only option of the logo used in this article was the one the staff preferred :mellow:.

#30 Iceman

Iceman

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 2,277 posts
  • Staff Position:Graphics Designer
  • Jagex Name:Iceman

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:37 PM

Well written but sad to see that the vote didn't matter at all because the only option of the logo used in this article was the one the staff preferred :mellow:.

Of course it mattered and not all of the staff preferred this particular version anyway. Also, the vote was pretty close. The decision to use this version came down to the fact that this one is a lot easier to work with from a design perspective.
Why are you reading this?
--------------------
Stellar Dawn is being developed - Please wait...
--------------------

#31 Zen

Zen

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 297 posts
  • Jagex Name:Zenorrath

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

The decision to use this version came down to the fact that this one is a lot easier to work with from a design perspective.

Then why put up a vote if that's how the decision came to fact? This isn't really the place to argue about that though, so PM me if you want to continue.

#32 Iceman

Iceman

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 2,277 posts
  • Staff Position:Graphics Designer
  • Jagex Name:Iceman

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:43 PM

The decision to use this version came down to the fact that this one is a lot easier to work with from a design perspective.

Then why put up a vote if that's how the decision came to fact? This isn't really the place to argue about that though, so PM me if you want to continue.

There are bound to be more similar questions so I'll just throw this in here:

Keep in mind that this is not a definitive vote, and staff will ultimately make the final decision.
However, if your opinions are strong enough, they may help sway us one way or another.

Why are you reading this?
--------------------
Stellar Dawn is being developed - Please wait...
--------------------

#33 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

That's really not true at all. As was said multiple times, it wasn't a vote, it was a way for people to give feedback on the different options:

I will stress that this is not a definitive vote. However, your opinion does matter!

There wasn't an option that was preferred by all of the staff at the beginning, but it became clear during the process that, among other things, the enclosed logo works better as a watermark and at a very small scale, so we chose it.

The poll was intended to gather feedback and ideas, and it did.

Posted Image

#34 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

We put forward two options for feedback and people seemed to like both of them (with some having a preference for #1, and some for #2), so we did the sensible thing and opted for the one which was far more flexible and versatile.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#35 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:04 PM

Sounds good. However, I can see a problem with the "wiki" style and allowing user editing. What happens when someone puts some false/misleading or malicious content on the website? (ex, on the "Space Pie" page, someone replaces a "Stellardawn.com/?item=spacepie" link with "maliciousstellardawnwebsite.com")

#36 Alex

Alex

What I'd like to be

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,457 posts
  • Staff Position:Retired writing team co-ordinator
  • Jagex Name:Xel

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

Sounds good. However, I can see a problem with the "wiki" style and allowing user editing. What happens when someone puts some false/misleading or malicious content on the website? (ex, on the "Space Pie" page, someone replaces a "Stellardawn.com/?item=spacepie" link with "maliciousstellardawnwebsite.com")

That is obviously a defining flaw of wikis, and to try and counteract it you inevitably dilute the opportunity for contribution.

The specifics are highly liable to change, but ideas so far include requiring users to register in order to contribute (especially as far as links and such), and offering staff positions within the wiki for people who want to pitch in and go directly against vandalism and the like. Of course, as anyone can edit, anyone can remove malicious things right away, and that should balance the chance of vandalism out.
ALL THIS HARD WORK, DOWN THE DRAIN.

#37 Niphoros

Niphoros

<3

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,445 posts
  • Jagex Name:Melook

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:45 PM

If the site uses the Wiki idea thingy...........then........

Having to register and having staff positions to counter vandalism is the best option.

#38 xxshady

xxshady

Consigliere

• SDC Member+++
  • 965 posts
  • Jagex Name:xxshady

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

Again, if we use a wiki system then our content will simply mirror the content of the Stellar Dawn Wiki. I don't know why any real fansite would do this, especially considering we are the "original" SD fansite and it would be wiser to have well-written, unique content. If anyone needs extremely up-to-date or detailed info then they can visit the Stellar Dawn Wiki themselves.

See: relationship between Zybez (high quality fansite) and Rswiki (high quality wiki).

Edited by xxshady, 14 July 2011 - 07:35 PM.

#39 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:06 PM

Again, if we use a wiki system then our content will simply mirror the content of the Stellar Dawn Wiki. I don't know why any real fansite would do this, especially considering we are the "original" SD fansite and it would be wiser to have well-written, unique content. If anyone needs extremely up-to-date or detailed info then they can visit the Stellar Dawn Wiki themselves.

See: relationship between Zybez (high quality fansite) and Rswiki (high quality wiki).

I think Ren can explain this one.

Posted Image

#40 Henricson

Henricson

Proud Member of the Troll Patrol, membership notwithstanding.

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts
  • Jagex Name:Henry Erison

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

Nice work...

Also, I'd like that logo on a shirt. Think we could get some merchandising for the site once we're up and running?
Content Goes Here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users