112 replies to this topic

#41 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 14 July 2011 - 10:07 PM

There will inevitably be other fansites with similar content as they are all based on the same game and serving a similar purpose, and there will also be other websites which use a wiki model, but our intention is to remain as the premier source of Stellar Dawn information and allowing users to contribute can only help us achieve this. Yes, there will be the potential for vandalism, but the more visitors we have the more people we have who can reverse vandalism, and pages which tend to attract more vandalism can be protected as appropriate. In terms of links it is possible that we might be able to make it state the destination of outbound links to reduce the likelihood of phishing. Furthermore, we intend to continue producing editorials through the SDC Post and there would be nothing to prevent us having non-editable content on the wiki created by members of staff if we find that to be desirable.

In terms of merchandise, it's something we'd investigate if there was sufficient interest from people who'd actually be prepared to purchase it.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#42 Chris

Chris

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 823 posts
  • Staff Position:Researcher
  • Jagex Name:ChrisJ

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

Merchandise wise i'd buy a polo shirt with the logo and name sewn onto it. Already got a few Space Pie tshirts. ;)

Other than tshirts though I think it's fair to say I wouldn't get any other merchandise. You can pull a Jagex though and make your own webstore on spreadshirt, the quality isn't as good as places like Zazzle but they give you a store and handle all orders.

The views below are those expressed by myself and not Stellar Dawn Central.
Posted Image

#43 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:21 PM

Firstly, I'd like to say I love the concept of a wiki, but I highly dislike the editing syntax mediawiki uses. It's old; and not widely adopted, unlike bb-code.

The point about the Stellar Dawn wiki is frankly, valid and troubling. There would be a tremendous duplication of effort, and honestly, there's nothing that prevents crossposting. Do you really want to spend your time monitoring where "our" material goes, and what goes onto out wiki?

Finally, the new text near the logo seems odd, to saw the least. The S, e, a, r, D, a, w, n, C, e, n, r, and the a all exhibit visible aliasing. The bottown italicized text also looks funky. Was gray the intended color? There seems to be some strong Moire effect going on.

#44 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

Just throwing this out there, but I'm hoping the design/skin of the website looks very different from a regular wiki so that it wouldn't seem like the two sites are identical.

#45 Henricson

Henricson

Proud Member of the Troll Patrol, membership notwithstanding.

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts
  • Jagex Name:Henry Erison

Posted 14 July 2011 - 11:56 PM

There will inevitably be other fansites with similar content as they are all based on the same game and serving a similar purpose, and there will also be other websites which use a wiki model, but our intention is to remain as the premier source of Stellar Dawn information and allowing users to contribute can only help us achieve this. Yes, there will be the potential for vandalism, but the more visitors we have the more people we have who can reverse vandalism, and pages which tend to attract more vandalism can be protected as appropriate. In terms of links it is possible that we might be able to make it state the destination of outbound links to reduce the likelihood of phishing. Furthermore, we intend to continue producing editorials through the SDC Post and there would be nothing to prevent us having non-editable content on the wiki created by members of staff if we find that to be desirable.

In terms of merchandise, it's something we'd investigate if there was sufficient interest from people who'd actually be prepared to purchase it.

So, Ren, can you tell me something: The pages will look more themed (Like Zybez) rather than Wiki-like (Like RSWiki), correct? The option to change and modify content will be there, but the page will actually have some semblance of aesthetic rather than wikipedia templates, right?
Content Goes Here.

#46 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

So, Ren, can you tell me something: The pages will look more themed (Like Zybez) rather than Wiki-like (Like RSWiki), correct? The option to change and modify content will be there, but the page will actually have some semblance of aesthetic rather than wikipedia templates, right?

Yes, our aim is for it to look like a themed fansite rather than looking like Wikipedia, and for it to have fansite-style navigation rather than making people dependent on the search facility to find everything.

h8BphmP.png

#47 Henricson

Henricson

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

Yes, it should look more like a themed fansite than Wikipedia.

Awesome. That alleviates all my worries but one... Actually, I may have a suggestion. Since, theoretically, anyone can edit the site and thereby vandalize it, why not have a way to approve accounts for editing? Perhaps an application on the forums or something like that. It's a bit more trouble than the average vandal is willing to go through, and it adds an extra layer of much-needed security. Something to consider, at least. Let me know what you think.
Content Goes Here.

#48 Iceman

Iceman

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 2,277 posts
  • Staff Position:Graphics Designer
  • Jagex Name:Iceman

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:11 AM

Awesome. That alleviates all my worries but one... Actually, I may have a suggestion. Since, theoretically, anyone can edit the site and thereby vandalize it, why not have a way to approve accounts for editing? Perhaps an application on the forums or something like that. It's a bit more trouble than the average vandal is willing to go through, and it adds an extra layer of much-needed security. Something to consider, at least. Let me know what you think.

If you're talking about requiring an X amount of posts to edit pages, then I don't think that's a good idea. Forcing users to post something they otherwise wouldn't is only going to produce more problems than it will solve.
Why are you reading this?
--------------------
Stellar Dawn is being developed - Please wait...
--------------------

#49 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Darth Irule

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

We have been working with someone with wiki administration experience and he has explained a lot to us about how moderation on the wiki works and we already have a general plan on moderating the wiki.

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#50 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:19 AM

Such a measure would be a barrier to vandalism, but it would also be a barrier to legitimate edits by a large number of people. If restrictions are required to prevent vandalism then they should be put in place, but our first instinct should be to be as open as possible so as to maximise our ability to benefit from people's energy to contribute, and therefore any measures should be the least restrictive necessary.

h8BphmP.png

#51 Chisp

Chisp

SDC Vet

• SDC Member+++
  • 261 posts
  • Jagex Name:Chisp

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:59 AM

Loved the intro video.

Nice job guys, very impressive :)
Posted Image

#52 Ender17400

Ender17400

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,449 posts
  • Jagex Name:Endershdw174

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:17 AM

Wow I'm very very impressed. Sounds like this new website design will be awesome.
Posted Image

#53 Henricson

Henricson

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:19 AM

Seems I was misunderstood there. I was thinking something like having a thread where you could ask for approval to edit the wiki. Not having a certain postcount.
Content Goes Here.

#54 Shado

Shado

All hail my Cheez-it Minions!

• SDC Member+++
  • 525 posts
  • Jagex Name:Shadoprimx

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:20 AM

SDC is going to become awesome!
But I have one question: Will you try to hide the fact that the site uses MediaWiki, so that at first glance you would not say the site is a wiki.

Welcome to the Greatest Show on Earth!

#55 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

SDC is going to become awesome!
But I have one question: Will you try to hide the fact that the site uses MediaWiki, so that at first glance you would not say the site is a wiki.

We won't hide that it's a wiki, afterall we need people to know that it's a wiki if we want people to contribute to it. I don't think we've fully worked out how we'll make it clear that it's a wiki apart from the MediaWiki buttons, though.

Posted Image

#56 Neven

Neven

Ultima Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,610 posts
  • Staff Position:Researcher
  • Jagex Name:Galaxy Sabre

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:06 AM

Guys, look forward to some very exciting and awesome updates in the future. I'm proud of what we're working on. ;)

Posted Image
Feel free to visit my YouTube page and check out my latest Videos!
If you have any questions, feel free to Posted Image me.

#57 Ayush

Ayush

Llama Lord

• SDC Member+++
  • 535 posts
  • Staff Position:Helper
  • Jagex Name:Ayush S92

Posted 15 July 2011 - 05:45 AM

Amazing post. SDC as a brand...sounds wonderful.

Posted Image

#58 Lord John

Lord John

Legendary Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 7,633 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Janas

Posted 15 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

Enjoyable read ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#59 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Seems I was misunderstood there. I was thinking something like having a thread where you could ask for approval to edit the wiki. Not having a certain postcount.

I expect a lot of our contributions will come from people who only ever contribute occasionally (after all, they'll be spending a lot of their time playing the game). If someone coming to our site wanting to contribute has to jump through loads of hoops to do so, chances are they'll just not bother and their potential contribution will be lost - and that's especially the case if it is something which requires manual approval as they might have to wait around for an hour just to make a once-off small edit to something which is out of date. As such, we should start by being as open as possible to maximise contributions and only limit things if we need to and then only to the extent that we need to. Furthermore, by adding such barriers we would increase the number of people who would be exposed to vandalism yet who would be unable to easily tackle it.

We want to it to be clear it is editable and will make use of MediaWiki conventions where appropriate for usability purposes, but our aim is for it to look more like a fansite and less like Wikipedia. As such, we've opted for a new design built from scratch rather than simply using the default MediaWiki skin as a starting point. However, if we release the wiki for editing prior to the release of the design then it would most likely use the default MediaWiki skin until the design is released.

h8BphmP.png

#60 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:31 PM

We want to it to be clear it is editable and will make use of MediaWiki conventions where appropriate for usability purposes, but our aim is for it to look more like a fansite and less like Wikipedia. As such, we've opted for a new design built from scratch rather than simply using the default MediaWiki skin as a starting point. However, if we release the wiki for editing prior to the release of the design then it would most likely use the default MediaWiki skin until the design is released.

Does that only involve putting some fancy buttons and maybe a menu at the top of the page? (Example) (Prove me wrong here)

I've never really liked the cluttered and bland feel wiki's have and when possible usually opt to use a professional fansite when I'm looking up information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users