Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

Interesting..

#22 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:34 PM

So... This is Jagex's new Research and Development department. Sounds good, I guess. And I'd love to get my hands on their in-house toolkits, so I may have that chance in the future.

Also, Dawntek. I'm calling it now.

I'd be more concerned with the fact that Andrew and Paul appear, to me, be bailing out of Jagex and trying to make a new company. Jagex only owns a 10% stake.

Also, this article seems a little too optimistic. The idea that RS has been maintained well due to diligent engineering from the very start is laughable. Skyboxes have been around since before the creation of RS (the best example i could find was Half-Life, showing a sky here.) "Utilising network programming and algorithms" is a truism; if it's a multiplayer game, it utilizes network programming, and if it's a program more advanced than Hello World, it illustrates algorithms.
I do understand that many of these are quotes, however.

Please remember that Jagex has yet to ship a major successful product except for RS, and perhaps some of the iOS funorb variants.

#23 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:51 AM

I'd be more concerned with the fact that Andrew and Paul appear, to me, be bailing out of Jagex and trying to make a new company. Jagex only owns a 10% stake.

There's really no evidence to support that. That fact that the company, "has the backing of 10 years of Jagex technology" does seem to discount the idea that Andrew Gower is "bailing out of Jagex." If he were truly done with Jagex he would have just created a new games company or retired. Also, as far as we can tell, Paul Gower has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Also, this article seems a little too optimistic. The idea that RS has been maintained well due to diligent engineering from the very start is laughable.

As you said, that's a quote. It's also clearly true. The underlying technology has remained successful for more than a decade while supporting more and more content and technology. It seems laughable to say that RuneScape isn't technologically successful when viewed alongside its inherent limits.

Skyboxes have been around since before the creation of RS (the best example i could find was Half-Life, showing a sky here.)

Yes, that's extremely obvious. They've been possible in RuneScape since RuneTek 5 was introduced in September 2009, but clearly Jagex waited to implement them. I'm not really sure why you would think that a random example of them in use is relevant in any way. This Post doesn't argue that Jagex created them, it simply states the rather obvious fact that Jagex recently implemented something new in the game which advances the level of technology within RuneScape.

Please remember that Jagex has yet to ship a major successful product except for RS, and perhaps some of the iOS funorb variants.

Well that really does depend on your idea of "successful," doesn't it? Most people would agree that profitability denotes successfulness. Of course none of them have rivaled RuneScape, that would be a massive achievement. RuneScape is their mainstay and it's what allows them to grow exponentially and to fund the development of other products. If your idea of successfulness is "larger than RuneScape," then that's quite unreasonable.

Posted Image

#24 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:27 AM

There's really no evidence to support that. That fact that the company, "has the backing of 10 years of Jagex technology" does seem to discount the idea that Andrew Gower is "bailing out of Jagex." If he were truly done with Jagex he would have just created a new games company or retired. Also, as far as we can tell, Paul Gower has absolutely nothing to do with this.

Fen may have the backing of 10 years of Jagex tech, but iAndrew does not own any part of the company he founded, according to the charts. That speaks volumes more than a PR release.

Also, this article seems a little too optimistic. The idea that RS has been maintained well due to diligent engineering from the very start is laughable.

As you said, that's a quote. It's also clearly true. The underlying technology has remained successful for more than a decade while supporting more and more content and technology. It seems laughable to say that RuneScape isn't technologically successful when viewed alongside its inherent limits.
Runetek has been heavily revised 5 times, and was completely rewritten from RSC to RS2.

I would not say it has remained successful either. Ever since I've joined SDC, I've paid more and more attention to Jagex tech. Clipping, z-fighting, improper shadows, synchronous networking, etc all stand out way more to me than it used to. To give a simple example, they still haven't fixed the fact that you can accidentally click through the dialog boxes to end a conversation, which annoys me to no end. This issue has been around since RSHD was released.
As for the low end graphics issue, I think it's well time that Jagex moves on. They have been artificially limiting themselves. I play RS on a 1080p screen (it's slightly smaller due to ads), with x4 supersampling AA, on a graphics card that was released just over 4 years ago and that is supposed to be incapable of playing games.
And I hope you don't mean Java is a limitation.
JME
was made by a bunch of people out of college on the side.
SK
is a commercial game and it also looks better.

Skyboxes have been around since before the creation of RS (the best example i could find was Half-Life, showing a sky here.)

Yes, that's extremely obvious. They've been possible in RuneScape since RuneTek 5 was introduced in September 2009, but clearly Jagex waited to implement them. I'm not really sure why you would think that a random example of them in use is relevant in any way. This Post doesn't argue that Jagex created them, it simply states the rather obvious fact that Jagex recently implemented something new in the game which advances the level of technology within RuneScape.

I pulled a random example to prove that I did not randomly state the fact that skyboxes have been around since before RS. It's called citing sources; something the SDCP prides itself on.
All of Jagex's PR states that it's supposed to be on the top top end of tech. I'm here to say it's not.

Well that really does depend on your idea of "successful," doesn't it? Most people would agree that profitability denotes successfulness. Of course none of them have rivaled RuneScape, that would be a massive achievement. RuneScape is their mainstay and it's what allows them to grow exponentially and to fund the development of other products. If your idea of successfulness is "larger than RuneScape," then that's quite unreasonable.

I don't know that Funorb is currently profitable. Jagex doesn't publish independent profit numbers, does it?

8Realms isn't out of beta.

Herotopia and WoL are published.

Really, what else is profitable?

#25 Bladepaul

Bladepaul

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

So Andrew starts Jagex, makes it successful, sells the shares, and moves on. One day he will come back and they will kick him out.

I don't see how or why he would do this though. Jagex is his company. It's like a mother disowning her child. What is his motivation? Jagex will just become a founderless, parentless stray child.

"losing respect for Jagex?" My respect for Jagex has been at negitive infinity for a long time now, so it's mathematically impossible for me to lose anymore.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌  Copy and paste him
/ \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!

#26 julia400941

julia400941

Ghetto royalty

• SDC Member++
  • 71 posts
  • Jagex Name:finis terrae

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

Hmm. Interesting to see the graphs. You can slowly see Andrew and the others getting smaller and smaller...X D overall, very interesting.
The ghetto Queen

#27 Rarez

Rarez

Advanced Mech

• SDC Member++
  • 58 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Great article. I enjoyed the read. Was nicely formatted as well.

It definitely explains a lot of things...

Thanks for posting it and all the research behind it (y)
This fansite once had great potential, but upon realizing that the person on top of it all [poultrychamp] didn't care whatsoever what the community had to say... I realized that it's going nowhere.

#28 Daimen

Daimen

Web Developer

• SDC Member+++
  • 769 posts
  • Jagex Name:iSeiren

Posted 25 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

Posted Image

Wonder what "ULUUC" is?

#29 Ides

Ides

Soul Raven

• Retired
  • 9,333 posts
  • Staff Position:Programmer
  • Jagex Name:Idest

Posted 27 August 2011 - 06:26 AM

Posted Image

Wonder what "ULUUC" is?

A pattern around Fen Research.

#30 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 27 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

It's possible that the pattern around the edge is supposed to represent an electronic circuit board with the 'fen research' black box representing a chip or processor at the centre.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#31 Daimen

Daimen

Web Developer

• SDC Member+++
  • 769 posts
  • Jagex Name:iSeiren

Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:09 PM

I know but it seems odd to me that it actually spells something - rather than random patterns.

#32 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:06 PM

I know but it seems odd to me that it actually spells something - rather than random patterns.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#33 Alex

Alex

What I'd like to be

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,457 posts
  • Staff Position:Retired writing team co-ordinator
  • Jagex Name:Xel

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

^As revealed by Andrew himself (and deciphered by me :P)
ALL THIS HARD WORK, DOWN THE DRAIN.

#34 Siganiv Lord

Siganiv Lord

Engineer!

• SDC Member+++
  • 183 posts
  • Jagex Name:Siganiv/Pm17

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hi, if you don't already know Fen Research is my new company. We are working on a brand new, unique, online games product. More details to follow. I will be adding some pictures and details throughout the day. If you want to be kept informed about what we are creating, and when we finally launch something, the easiest way is to simply 'like' this page :) I'll try and keep it not too spammy.

From the Facebook page.

Fen Research is a new Cambridge based start-up, working on creating a ground breaking new product in the field of online games and user created content.

Hmm, "user created content"? Sounds interesting.

Edited by Siganiv Lord, 07 September 2011 - 07:21 PM.

~Siganiv~
The researcher

#35 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:51 PM

Ah, so the circuitry spells fen on all four sides. Very geeky - I like it.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#36 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts
  • Jagex Name:CaiusDominus

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

wow big news like this and only 2 pages. Anyway, i find it very intrigueing...either Andrew is developing a new mmo game, or Fen Research will be...an R&D cost-center laborory in the same vane/veign as Bell Labs was for AT&T and the Bell System during the 20th century
Retired RS Racketeer & Clansman

-: Veritas Et Honorum :-

#37 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 02:38 AM

I like that, very subtle.

#38 Siganiv Lord

Siganiv Lord

Engineer!

• SDC Member+++
  • 183 posts
  • Jagex Name:Siganiv/Pm17

Posted 12 September 2011 - 02:45 PM

Posted Image

Fen Research started trading 1 year ago! It's hard to believe it has been a year already. To celebrate we had a Fen Research Cake :)

Facebook.

~Siganiv~
The researcher

#39 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts
  • Jagex Name:CaiusDominus

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:51 PM

FR is trading? O.o o.O whats their symbol?
Retired RS Racketeer & Clansman

-: Veritas Et Honorum :-

#40 Zoala

Zoala

The Truthteller

• SDC Member+++
  • 193 posts
  • Jagex Name:Eat Prawns

Posted 15 September 2011 - 12:12 AM

So......exactly what have they done this whole time?
"Making chicken salad out of chicken shit"- Brock Lesnar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users