Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:28 AM

Posted Image

Issue #7 - Saturday 6th August 2011

Introduction
Hi everyone.

As you may have noticed in the last Stellar Dawn Central Post, we've been working on the layout and content since we recruited new staff. Thanks to the new graphics team, as well as the new writers and researchers for their input on that. We would also like to give a special thanks to EliteZeon who designed the new flourishes, and the illustration. Not that he's the only one, Ren has done a great job at arranging the fonts and plenty of others have pitched in as well.

This week we're introducing a new style of SDCP. The research and editorial articles will remain, but we're alternating the more serious article-based issues with "lighter" ones; a comic and a short story this time. In the future we might mix it up a little, with shorter or informal articles, and maybe even some videos. We're calling these 'B-type' posts, but if you have any suggestions for another name we'd be glad to hear them. Feel free to share what you think of these posts, what you'd like to see and anything else.

Hope you enjoy it ;)

-Alex (and the rest of the SDC staff team!)

Posted Image

"Groundbreaking"

Story By Alex

It was laid as a pale egg. The seed of a city. The plastic ball, deformed by the vast force of the impact it had endured. Dropped from space, it had burned through the atmosphere until the milky white outer coating glowed a burning orange colour and a streak of vapour left a scar in the sky. It finally finished its journey by hitting the ground with enough heat and force to melt the soil and rock and leave a small crater behind, as a mist of molten plastic shavings settled like snowflakes.

It didn't yet have eyes to see or ears to hear, but quickly the sensors on the probe sprung into action to rectify this. It followed the instructions it had been given when it was built, and started analyzing its surroundings. It was one of seven probes, seven identical machines used to test the possible sites for the first settlement on the planet. The preliminary results gathered from space were all good, the planet was habitable. The geophysical scanners on the escape ship had set to the task of finding places to live, and seven were seen as possible sites. The probe's task was to gather enough data to decide between the seven.

The tests it could carry out without movement were complete. All was good, the data was beamed back up to the ship. It sat idle while the computers calculated the most viable areas to live, and the people decided where they wanted to live. A day passed, lasting less time than the people on the ship were used to but not outside acceptable bounds. Four of the seven sites were eliminated - too hot, too cold, salted water, bad soil.

The next phase of the test begun. The location beacons of the probes already on the ground guided down some assistants to help them survey the area more thoroughly. Eight plastic pods studded the landscape forming a circle around the original probe, reaching out to each other with tendrils of radio waves and greetings of clicks and beeps. Each of the eight pods splintered apart: opening up like flower petals to release a payload of a dozen hovering miniature scanners which glided past each other in a complex weaving route. Between them, the entire area of the proposed settlement and its surroundings was mapped, logged and recorded.

A few more days followed once the result had been sent off. One of the remaining three sites was struck off upon closer inspection due to a mazelike system of caverns underneath the rock that the ship scanner couldn't penetrate; it was far too risky - the area might collapse under the weight of buildings or the caves could be a sign of tectonic activity. It was impossible to tell; the scanners malfunctioned due to magnetic interference inside. The sensors were dispatched to assist at the other two sites, adding streaks of explored territory to the map as they travelled. Of course the regions of the planet, as well as lots of information about the rock type and chemical composition were observable from space, but apart from the unmanned drones there had been nothing on the ground. Fuel was too scarce to return people to orbit or manufacture the copious amount of drones needed to flood the planet and find out everything, which was why they needed a settlement with manufacturing plants up and running as soon as possible. Even once a settlement was built, the tight rationing of resources would mean that some frontiers would go unexplored for years.

The data was all there now, it was time for the decision. Both of the remaining sites had good temperatures, good humidity, good soil... both would provide just fine for the people on the escape ship. The deciding factor was the landscape: one site was within the huge caldera of a long-dead volcano, the other on a simple flat plain. The caldera would be harder to build on, as the flat inner area would have to be preserved for farmland, and the space for expansion was therefore a lot more limited, but it was a very strong defensive position. The plains were wide open to attack, but the flat land meant the city could expand easily with no worry about preserving farmland.

It was an illogical decision, there was nothing to suggest that the people on the ship would be attacked. There was no evidence that there was any hostile life on the planet, it was just paranoia and the element of reassurance that appealed to people. The machines told them it was the wrong choice to make.

The machines later proved they weren't to be trusted.

Posted Image

"Why MechScape Was Really Cancelled"

Comic #001 - By Flatypus

Posted Image

Posted Image

Jagex and Community News

• Ren has created a thread where you can vote for your preferred T-shirt size, in case we ever hold a contest where T-shirts were the prize. You can vote for your preferred T-shirt size here.
  • Unique has had the idea of asking which prizes you would like to see in future competitions. You can say which prizes you would like to see here.
  • Ren has also posted a thread in which you can tell him what contests you would like to see in the future, so if you're sick of seeing all the art and writing competitions (or if you love them) you can tell him what you would like to see here.
  • Some CM switching has been happening in Jagex, and as such Spaceone is no longer the Stellar Dawn CM. Instead Kat has taken his place. Let's hope that she's as awesome as Spaceone was! Other notable changes include Mod Captain now being the CM for Transformers Universe. You can read up on the changes here.

Previous Stellar Dawn Central Posts

Footnotes
Contributors: Alex, EliteZeon, Flatypus, Killrrhubarb, Laurie, , MC, Pliigi, Ren.
Disclaimer: Views expressed by members of staff do not necessarily represent the view of Stellar Dawn Central.

Posted Image

#2 jchaplin2

jchaplin2

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 458 posts
  • Jagex Name:Jchaplin2

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

dammit no ren jagex visit :(

p.s. pliigi why u no mod?!

Edited by jchaplin2, 06 August 2011 - 09:11 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Killrrhubarb

Killrrhubarb

It's O for Awesome!

• Staff
  • 4,704 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Killrrhubarb

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Awesome story! The Jagex and community news segment is brilliant though, I wonder who typed that out ;).

(hint: It was me).
Posted Image
Thanks Elitezeon for the awesome sig!

#4 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:34 AM

Awesome story! The Jagex and community news segment is brilliant though, I wonder who typed that out ;).

(hint: It was me).

Too subtle, Killrrhubarb ;)

p.s. pliigi why u no mod?!

To focus more on his other staff activities such as researching and writing.

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#5 Chris

Chris

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 823 posts
  • Staff Position:Researcher
  • Jagex Name:ChrisJ

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:05 AM

Great post, great story, and an awesome comic by Flatypus, despite me first seeing it a few weeks back it's still great!

The views below are those expressed by myself and not Stellar Dawn Central.
Posted Image

#6 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:52 PM

Brilliant! Well done everyone!

Posted Image

#7 Alphawolf

Alphawolf

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,711 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

I liked it. It was mildly amusing.

#8 Ren

Ren

Trust, but Verify

• 8,497 posts
  • Staff Position:Chief Badger
  • Jagex Name:Me

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Human's criticism of SDCP #7 and related discussions have now been split onto their own thread: http://www.stellarda...showtopic=18319

h8BphmP.png
"They didn't care that they'd seen it work in practice
because they already knew it couldn't work in theory."

#9 detrumi

detrumi

Advanced Mech

• SDC Member+
  • 41 posts
  • Jagex Name:detrumi

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:22 PM

Good read, liked the story and I'd like to read the next part. Normally I don't really like sci-fi stories, but this one is interesting enough to keep me reading.

The comic could've been a bit more serious, but it's a good start, being the first comic in a SDCP.

Just realized Kat replaces Spaceone, didn't realize that before.

#10 strrox4

strrox4

Archangel of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,186 posts
  • Jagex Name:strrox4

Posted 07 August 2011 - 09:23 PM

Ren when are you going to post the info from Jagex studios its taking way too long.... :verymad: :verymad:
Posted Image
All credit goes to Faybro for the awesome sig
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. [Winston Churchill]

#11 Lord John

Lord John

Legendary Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 7,633 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Janas

Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:50 AM

Ren when are you going to post the info from Jagex studios its taking way too long.... :verymad: :verymad:

I think this would be a more worthy topic for a SDCP. :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#12 Lord Tobytwo

Lord Tobytwo

The Modfather

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,125 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Tobytwo

Posted 08 August 2011 - 12:32 PM

This isn't an SDC post. The story should be in literature and the comic in graphic arts. I perhaps could live with a comic but have a single story as THE ENTIRE NEWS POST? No.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Spoiler

#13 ProMetaAnaTelo

ProMetaAnaTelo

Eggroll Prince

• 3,909 posts
  • Jagex Name:TomRedwood

Posted 08 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

The old Mechscape posts were like this sometimes, I thought...

#14 Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Ninja Mech

• SDC Member+
  • 21 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lone Wolf

Posted 08 August 2011 - 03:21 PM

Loved the comic can't wait for the next one :D
Posted Image

#15 Niphoros

Niphoros

<3

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,443 posts
  • Jagex Name:Melook

Posted 08 August 2011 - 04:54 PM

This isn't an SDC post. The story should be in literature and the comic in graphic arts. I perhaps could live with a comic but have a single story as THE ENTIRE NEWS POST? No.

What news is there? Nothing, so what else are they supposed to write about?

#16 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 09 August 2011 - 05:02 AM

Nothing!

#17 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 09 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

The old Mechscape posts were like this sometimes, I thought...

Yeah, I liked the filler posts more than the news posts when the SDCP was the MSWP. All of them were entertaining, memorable and long enough. Thing is, as SDC is a growing site it has to have more content and quality than usual. Hopefully the next one will have more entertaining stuff and be more close with the community. In the end of the filler, there can be a "Staff asks:" section were the staff asks the community what they expect to see in Stellar Dawn or describe the wait you know, stuff like that.

Doesn't have to be news about the game. I'd find 3 or 4 staff members describing the wait for the game something good to write about because at least it's something. This one was just rushed. That's all.

#18 Ryan PM

Ryan PM

New Mech

• SDC Member+
  • 9 posts
  • Jagex Name:Ryan M

Posted 11 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

Found the comic strip to be entertaining, somehow reminds me more of Minecraft more than MechScape. -- Ryan PM
Ryan PM

#19 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 11:38 PM

Ironically, the announcement at the top of the forum still talks about SDCP #5.

#20 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 16 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Oh look, it has been over a month with no new SDCP. In the month that has passed you could have improved this SDCP. 2 more stories, possibly with something else(Like how the new site is going on and maybe a video about something) and you would have had a good well-placed filler. Who thought this was enough and decided to roll with it a week after one was already released has been proven to have made a mistake. I'm not mad about this now and I know there is no point on dragging it anymore but just sayin'. I know you are all working hard on the new site so I'm going to let this roll over as if it never happened as I shouldn't really be putting it up again. I have an idea that would go well with a filler so if you need it just ask me and I'll gladly give it to you if needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users