Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Darth Irule

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

NOTICE (G-Rated thread)
This is a G-rated topic. This means all posts and links should be appropriate for the general public. Please keep all posts free of flames, spam, inappropriate jokes and bad language. If you see any inappropriate posts on this thread then use the "report" button to alert the relevant staff members.

Now I am sure all of you guys have noticed the entire site being down for a while for the past week. We are well aware of this issue and we know what has been causing it. Stellar Dawn Central has been the victim of so far 2 DDOS attacks. Now we do not know who is attacking us or why but there is a good chance that these attacks are random. We do not know of any data that has been compromised. Our host has been doing a good job with keeping our data safe. When we are attacked the host quickly takes the server offline until the attack stops. This way our data is safer and harder to obtain.

PoultryChamp has taken some security precautions so the site may be slow for you for a while and you might be getting the out of memory error. Don't be scared if you can not connect to the site as it is most likely the precautions from PC that is not allowing you to access and not another attack.

We will keep you guys updated with the situation when we find out something new.

-Darth

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#2 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:22 PM

Good to know. Will the attacks keep on coming? When the site gets attacked, how much time will take to recover?

#3 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:26 PM

Good to know. Will the attacks keep on coming?
I don't know. I don't know if they're random or not, or whether they're caused by a vulnerability or sheer brute force. Nobody has come forward to take responsibility yet so at this time I have to believe they're random. It is also possible that they are accidental. Any information I get is purely from the data center.

When the site gets attacked, how much time will take to recover?
At least 24 hours after a DDOS. That seems to be pretty standard procedure unless I am willing to pay for expensive routers.

As far as I know nobody's information has been compromised. I am working really hard, along with RL work priorities, to get backups done and any vulns closed.

Edited by PoultryChamp, 23 November 2011 - 05:30 PM.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#4 TheAnnunaki

TheAnnunaki

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 454 posts
  • Jagex Name:The Annunaki

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:11 PM

wasent someone advertising their own stellar dawn fansite on hear awhile ago? prob narrows down who has been doing the attacks.

#5 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:20 PM

wasent someone advertising their own stellar dawn fansite on hear awhile ago? prob narrows down who has been doing the attacks.

It's very tempting to get paranoid about who might attack us, but please don't. These attacks came from China. In all likelihood, they're random. It takes a lot of firepower to DDOS and it's very costly to "rent" a trojan network or build your own.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#6 grux12

grux12

King of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,703 posts
  • Jagex Name:Vax Glorium

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Keep it up, guys, and thanks for the official info.

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair:
Your works and mine shall be esteemed as naught-
Less even than dust, for dust, at least, endures.
We must not fear the dream of death, for death is just a sleep,
And there is always sleep between part and meet with our hollow words on an empty street.
So now we'll part like we're meant to do
And in a world without you,
I'll dream of you...
For my Commendatore has come.

#7 tjk

tjk

chief exporter of disturbing avatars

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts
  • Staff Position:Helper

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:21 PM

Holy crap, I thought people were joking when they said it was a DDoS. :\

No.

#8 TheAnnunaki

TheAnnunaki

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 454 posts
  • Jagex Name:The Annunaki

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:22 PM

It's very tempting to get paranoid about who might attack us, but please don't. These attacks came from China. In all likelihood, they're random. It takes a lot of firepower to DDOS and it's very costly to "rent" a trojan network or build your own.

not paranoid was just tosing it out their, when i used to play runecape a lot of the clans would ddos other clans and their ts during fights etc.

#9 tjk

tjk

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

What is the point of a random DDOS, though?

No.

#10 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

Have we pissed off any Chinese people :P? Good job PoultryChamp, keep it up!

What is the point of a random DDOS, though?

Faybro, you know the Chinese.

#11 grux12

grux12

King of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,703 posts
  • Jagex Name:Vax Glorium

Posted 23 November 2011 - 06:52 PM

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair:
Your works and mine shall be esteemed as naught-
Less even than dust, for dust, at least, endures.
We must not fear the dream of death, for death is just a sleep,
And there is always sleep between part and meet with our hollow words on an empty street.
So now we'll part like we're meant to do
And in a world without you,
I'll dream of you...
For my Commendatore has come.

#12 Orbie

Orbie

Spherical Deity

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,511 posts
  • Jagex Name:Orb Master44

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

Yikes. DDoS hits home. Glad we have such a fantastic lead admin - I'll continue to wait patiently while mashing refresh if the site goes down in the future Posted Image

#13 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

Yikes. DDoS hits home. Glad we have such a fantastic lead admin - I'll continue to wait patiently while mashing refresh if the site goes down in the future Posted Image

Actually if you get the out of memory error it is best not to refresh the page a thousand times as that puts more load on the server. Just wait like 5 mins and it should be fixed.

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#14 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

not paranoid was just tosing it out their, when i used to play runecape a lot of the clans would ddos other clans and their ts during fights etc.

Isn't the runescaper version of a ddos opening the command prompt and typing "ping 12.34.56.78?"

#15 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 09:58 PM

That's different, you're trying to force a disconnect for a single consumer, while when you DDoS a server you're trying to take down an entire website. Granted, I'm pretty sure all SDC has is like half a server (via virtualization) but the internet connection is probably loads better than a consumer connection.

I really wonder why someone from China wants to DDoS us...

#16 Daimen

Daimen

Web Developer

• SDC Member+++
  • 769 posts
  • Jagex Name:iSeiren

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:03 PM

Isn't the runescaper version of a ddos opening the command prompt and typing "ping 12.34.56.78?"

Thats basically what DDoS is. Edit: And i must add, it only works if the other person is running a server which is highly unlikely. The only reason SDC was taken down is because it is a web server.

Edited by Daimenw, 23 November 2011 - 10:04 PM.

#17 I

I

Legit an Admin

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Well, if the Chinese are already attacking us, shouldn't we start making fun of them?

A chickmunk ate out my sparkplug wires.

#18 Daimen

Daimen

Web Developer

• SDC Member+++
  • 769 posts
  • Jagex Name:iSeiren

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for keeping us posted.

Well, if the Chinese are already attacking us, shouldn't we start making fun of them?

"We good chinese people, we speak good Engrish!"

>.<

#19 tjk

tjk

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

I find it funny how I can tell apart a pair of chinese twins, from across the room, without my glasses, but I mix up my american friends all the time.

Wait, that's not insulting to chinese people? Dang.

No.

#20 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

No need to make them more mad if they are actually attacking us. :whistling:

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png