#1 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:23 AM

This morning we learned the disheartening news that Stellar Dawn has been "paused." This does not mean that the game has been cancelled or scrapped, but rather put on the back burner. There are many unanswered questions that I'm sure we all want to know.

First and foremost we need to understand that this is a business decision that Jagex made and are not likely to go back on. It's counter-productive and unprofessional to whine to Jagex or lambast them in any way. Our thoughts and sympathy should be for the 12 Jagex staff members laid off and the even more who were reassigned. Unlike Stellar Dawn Central which is a passive observer of Jagex developments, these people labored weeks and months to develop a product which may never see the light of day. Being laid off is devastating, and I understand this, and wish the former employees the best of luck towards finding a new job.

When I first heard the news I was very disappointed. Many of us have been with the site for years. But, despite the unknown status of Stellar Dawn, the future of Stellar Dawn Central is more clear.

When I became an Admin here my goal wasn't to talk about Jagex or Stellar Dawn, it was to develop a community with values I thought important - trust, real relationships, freedom. You might have already known that I met my boyfriend of almost 8 years on RuneScape and we lived nearly 2000 miles away. Now we've been living together 1.5 years and hopefully many, many more to come. As I played RuneScape, created a clan, lead that clan, became a moderator of forums, I picked up many friends along the way which I still keep in touch with. No matter what happens in the long run I learned that game updates and clan war outcomes were nothing compared to the relationships I developed along the way. Before this turns into a cheesy Rom-Com movie, the point is that I believe Stellar Dawn Central can survive - and even grow - if the right steps are taken now.

Our staff is working hard to figure out how to point Stellar Dawn Central in the right direction. I've got a few ideas to branch out, but this is pending some questions and concerns I need to answer first. It's inevitable, though, that some staff will decide to step down and some forums will be merged.

If you're feeling discouraged or even mad, take a 15 minute break, then come back and post. Stick around, we're not going anywhere! :)

Tell us your suggestions here!
http://www.stellarda...ndpost&p=387389

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#2 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Darth Irule

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:28 AM

I know alot of Staff members share the same idea on what we should do next. And well we have some great ideas which I know most of the people who visit SDC will love. Just hang in there while we figure it and work stuff out and you won't be disappointed. :)

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#3 Pliigi

Pliigi

• 7,128 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer, Research Team Coordinator

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:32 AM

The postponement of Stellar Dawn's development is certainly terrible news. My thoughts go out to the entire Stellar Dawn team, especially the twelve employees who were laid off.

Hopefully we'll be able to find a way to make this a positive.

Posted Image

#4 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Moonlight Leader

• Staff
  • 3,289 posts
  • Staff Position:Graphics Designer
  • Jagex Name:EliteZeon

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

Hmm I want to say something, but I can't seem to find the words I am looking for. And if I say this other thing on my mind, it might not match with the situation we are currently in, or I might the evil glare of death from some fellow staff...

Either way, I'll stick around and see what we will be able to do in the near future. I've got a few ideas of what will be ahead of me right now.

My Gallerypliigi_baby.gif<-Lili the AF Creature - A.M.R.U.G Leader AMRUGFlag.png
Kampfersig.gif00PliigiBadge.pngAMRUGSymbol2-1.png

00100.png

#5 xxshady

xxshady

Consigliere

• SDC Member+++
  • 965 posts
  • Jagex Name:xxshady

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:18 AM

This fansite is already unique in that it covers Jagex as a whole and there's actual editorials/research that goes on by staff members. Being a Jagex fansite with a mature community isn't too bad.

#6 strrox4

strrox4

Archangel of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,186 posts
  • Jagex Name:strrox4

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:27 AM

I'd rather be a gaming site in general instead of limiting ourselves to one company.
Posted Image
All credit goes to Faybro for the awesome sig
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. [Winston Churchill]

#7 Kaur

Kaur

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:45 AM

Looking forward to a brighter future :thumbsup:
"If we could make RuneScape all over again, what would we do differently?"
-Andrew, 2004

Posted Image SpaceCombat - Epic Scifi Action-MMORPG

#8 Lord John

Lord John

Legendary Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 7,633 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Janas

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:09 AM

I laughed when I read the post. So incredibly predictable of Jagex.

This forums fine the way it is. We never had SD news anyway so nothing has changed.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#9 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:03 AM

I'd rather be a gaming site in general instead of limiting ourselves to one company.

Problem with that idea is forums usually need to fill a specific niche. SDC filled the "Stellar Dawn" niche (as best it could pre-vaporware announcement with the information it had). "General gaming" isn't really a specific niche and probably best left to gaming news sites like RPS, Giantbomb, IGN etc.

#10 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Zheph

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:19 AM

Problem with that idea is forums usually need to fill a specific niche. SDC filled the "Stellar Dawn" niche (as best it could pre-vaporware announcement with the information it had). "General gaming" isn't really a specific niche and probably best left to gaming news sites like RPS, Giantbomb, IGN etc.

We've got a decent community backing, filled with incredible talent. There's no reason why we couldn't undergo a name change and become a large gaming website. While at the moment we might be considered a 'Jagex in general' news website, we'd be freed up a lot more to expand into all other areas.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#11 Lord John

Lord John

Legendary Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 7,633 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Janas

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

We kind of already are a gaming website. The "Other Games" is much more popular than SD + Runescape combined. It's been a great place to meet up with people who play similar games and play together.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#12 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

This has not affected me one bit. Upon hearing the news, I didn't feel sad. It's just a game. They can take another 10 years for all I care. I'll state this again, the reason why we're still 'alive' is because of the wonderful communtiy we have here. If it weren't for this community, I would leave.

#13 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

Not much to say which hasn't already been posted by people above me. Regardless of what steps we decide to take this year, SDC or whatever it will be called will survive.

Posted Image

#14 Iluminator50

Iluminator50

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 303 posts
  • Jagex Name:Iluminator50

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

things will get better in time :P

#15 Whisper

Whisper

Sigh...

• SDC Member+++
  • 394 posts
  • Jagex Name:XNakedSnakeX

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:19 AM

I'm interested to see what the staff come up with :P

#16 Saraliman

Saraliman

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:25 AM

That's so lame, after almost 5 years of waiting.

Edit: Maybe next year...

Edited by Saraliman, 03 March 2012 - 11:30 AM.

Posted Image

#17 displayname

displayname

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:57 PM

Yeah, community is pretty cool. But I'd love to see the game that's the reason we're here in the first place :P
Will this mean that we can be a non-jagex site? So I won't get my post removed because they're against jagex's ToS? :P
Posted Image

and spam of course ;)

#18 Aenaid

Aenaid

Super Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 125 posts
  • Jagex Name:Aenaid

Posted 03 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Someone with tech skills on these forums should just actually build the game for them.
Posted Image

#19 strrox4

strrox4

Archangel of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,186 posts
  • Jagex Name:strrox4

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:49 PM

We've got a decent community backing, filled with incredible talent. There's no reason why we couldn't undergo a name change and become a large gaming website. While at the moment we might be considered a 'Jagex in general' news website, we'd be freed up a lot more to expand into all other areas.

All I ask is that we not become a TU fansite or a fansite of anything related to Jagex. We don't need JAgex for the site to succeed. Most of us have remained here for the community and I'm willing to stay for the community. Maybe we can become an MMO website or a RPG website??(Anything really, just move away from the mediocrity that is JAgex.)
Posted Image
All credit goes to Faybro for the awesome sig
Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. [Winston Churchill]

#20 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, community is pretty cool. But I'd love to see the game that's the reason we're here in the first place :P
Will this mean that we can be a non-jagex site? So I won't get my post removed because they're against jagex's ToS? :P

I think that the general idea is that we'll be moving away from Jagex and concentrating on games in General. Focusing on a non-existent game is just not sustainable anymore.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users