#21 Ayush

Ayush

Llama Lord

• SDC Member+++
  • 535 posts
  • Staff Position:Helper
  • Jagex Name:Ayush S92

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, community is pretty cool. But I'd love to see the game that's the reason we're here in the first place :P
Will this mean that we can be a non-jagex site? So I won't get my post removed because they're against jagex's ToS? :P

I think that the general idea is that we'll be moving away from Jagex and concentrating on games in General. Focusing on a non-existent game is just not sustainable anymore.

That seems like a nice idea.

Posted Image

#22 I

I

Legit an Admin

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

lambast

You totally stole my word, PC. Not cool. >=(

But yeah, we'll see what happens.

A chickmunk ate out my sparkplug wires.

#23 Drachen

Drachen

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

We kind of already are a gaming website. The "Other Games" is much more popular than SD + Runescape combined. It's been a great place to meet up with people who play similar games and play together.

Good point. Every time I visit the website I usually just check Other Games and Off-topic. However I'm not sure a smallish website would be able to make such a drastic move to general gaming and end up growing. Since Stellar dawn is effectively "Paused", it will need new users to join the site and contribute. (because nobody is going to come here looking for the mythical stellar dawn/mechscape mmo anymore)

#24 Gandaf007

Gandaf007

Eye rite gud

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,632 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Gandaf007

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

We kind of already are a gaming website. The "Other Games" is much more popular than SD + Runescape combined. It's been a great place to meet up with people who play similar games and play together.

Good point. Every time I visit the website I usually just check Other Games and Off-topic. However I'm not sure a smallish website would be able to make such a drastic move to general gaming and end up growing. Since Stellar dawn is effectively "Paused", it will need new users to join the site and contribute. (because nobody is going to come here looking for the mythical stellar dawn/mechscape mmo anymore)

I think the potential is there for this site to grow. If most of the people who are currently on this site move to the new one (Which I imagine happening without problem) we'll already have a decent if only small community. I think if anything, Stellar Dawn was holding us back from growing. Sure, some people came here looking for Stellar Dawn but if our horizons expanded, more people would come here looking for a good community focused around gaming.

The name of the game here, I think, is offering something other sites don't offer. I have some ideas on that, but I'm sure the staff is already leagues ahead of me in that regard.
Under Construction

#25 Spire

Spire

Invincible Mech

• 4,162 posts
  • Staff Position:retired
  • Jagex Name:Eskimodude1

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm going to be vague. But trust me guys, we have plans which you will hopefully love.

76561198025315076.png

#26 tjk

tjk

chief exporter of disturbing avatars

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:35 PM

I'm going to be vague. But trust me guys, we have plans which you will hopefully love.

bb u can trust mi w/ teh planz ;^)

No.

#27 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

I hope you keep posting intelligent quotes on the top of the forum. It makes the forum feel smarter.

#28 tjk

tjk

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

I hope you keep posting intelligent quotes on the top of the forum. It makes the forum feel smarter.

I thought that was PC?

No.

#29 Darth Irule

Darth Irule

blah

• Lead Administrator
  • 11,818 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Darth Irule

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

I thought that was PC?

He was stating that to the entire staff, not just spire.

fs_overall.png

spiahlove.png

#30 Ides

Ides

Soul Raven

• Retired
  • 9,333 posts
  • Staff Position:Programmer
  • Jagex Name:Idest

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Someone with tech skills on these forums should just actually build the game for them.

I hope your not serious. It is one thing to run a website and another to build a MMO.

#31 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:58 PM

Someone with tech skills on these forums should just actually build the game for them.

I hope your not serious. It is one thing to run a website and another to build a MMO.

A conservative estimate for the bare necessities to make an MMORPG is around 20 experienced people and $1.5 million dollars.

#32 Ides

Ides

Soul Raven

• Retired
  • 9,333 posts
  • Staff Position:Programmer
  • Jagex Name:Idest

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:03 PM

A conservative estimate for the bare necessities to make an MMORPG is around 20 experienced people and $1.5 million dollars.

With 1.5million I would retire early and just post stupid videos on Youtube for a living.

#33 Whisper

Whisper

Sigh...

• SDC Member+++
  • 394 posts
  • Jagex Name:XNakedSnakeX

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

I think making a spoof 2D flash game would be cool. Salmonella Dawn? Stellar Shaun? The possibilities are endless.

Stellar Shaun would follow the story of an intrepid young human explorer in the far flung reaches of space. His ship breaks down, he sits around scratching his ass for six years then decides to hang himself.

Edited by Whisper, 03 March 2012 - 10:27 PM.

#34 Saraliman

Saraliman

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 218 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:15 PM

Its pointless to jump in other RPG projects in general, we all love Sci-Fi games so lets stick with em.
Posted Image

#35 displayname

displayname

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

soo, it's gamecentral now? :P
Posted Image

and spam of course ;)

#36 tjk

tjk

• SDC Member++++
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:19 AM

You mean a good MMORPG, right? I'm sure somebody drunk off his ass with a bit of coding knowledge can make an MMORPG. Infact, I've seen it done, just ask Melook about HC.

No.

#37 Human

Human

Fight

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,358 posts
  • Jagex Name:Human Lord

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

The website redesign will be exciting ^.^ . I'm still waiting for that 'Like' feature btw ;)

#38 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:29 AM

You mean a good MMORPG, right? I'm sure somebody drunk off his ass with a bit of coding knowledge can make an MMORPG. Infact, I've seen it done, just ask Melook about HC.

Writing a server that can support 2000+ concurrent people is a monumental task in and of itself, thus; a person drunk off his ass with a bit of coding knowledge could try, but they'd never qualify for the "massively" part of MMORPG.

#39 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Zheph

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:57 AM

Speaking of SDC turning towards games in general... This already is my go-to site for general gaming news, because so many people in the community are constantly updating threads with new information, creating new threads about new and interesting/upcoming games, and the off-topic section always has interesting worldly news to read.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#40 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Moonlight Leader

• Staff
  • 3,289 posts
  • Staff Position:Graphics Designer
  • Jagex Name:EliteZeon

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:29 AM

I have an urge to pull out a Duke Nukem Forever joke, but I feel that joke doesn't work anymore. :confused:
I could have a shot at saying something about Half Life 2 : Episode 3, but I fear that making a joke about that or Gabe Newell will delay that game even more.

My Gallerypliigi_baby.gif<-Lili the AF Creature - A.M.R.U.G Leader AMRUGFlag.png
Kampfersig.gif00PliigiBadge.pngAMRUGSymbol2-1.png

00100.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users