64 replies to this topic

#41 Bladepaul

Bladepaul

Supreme Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:20 AM

I read the title and thought "the menopause"

Jagex is done. I am done with Jagex. A company that puts some shitty Hasbro "brand" designed to market toys to little kiddies, over a game with lots of potential like Stellar Dawn, is clearly no longer the same company that Andrew Gower started in his basement to "make great games."

WTF has Jagex done all this time? Runescape. Everything else has failed, including this. And Transformers is just plain stupid. It's like cancelling Mass Effect to work on Teletubbies.

And it's pretty clear that they don't actually have Transformers ready. They hyped the shit out of an undeveloped game, then started developing it in like a year. It's going to be rushed, unfinished, and a piece of junk. But it will make a lot of money for Hasbro.

This sort of monolithic, faceless corporation-style approach to doing things just makes me want to smash shit.

"losing respect for Jagex?" My respect for Jagex has been at negitive infinity for a long time now, so it's mathematically impossible for me to lose anymore.

☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌  Copy and paste him
/ \ so as to commit horrible blasphemy!

#42 Killrrhubarb

Killrrhubarb

It's O for Awesome!

• Staff
  • 4,704 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Killrrhubarb

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

Jagex isn't going in the best direction possible. I think they started too many projects, spread resources too thin, and are now struggling to finish them all. Jagex isn't going to be very popular with those following Stellar Dawn.
Posted Image
Thanks Elitezeon for the awesome sig!

#43 Saraliman

Saraliman

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 218 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

Jagex never been best direction to go with.
They are getting worse by every next year!

Sorry for double post, but I think that SD developers moved to a RS developing and they will put everything what so far created for SD into RuneScape.

Edited by Ren, 04 March 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Posted Image

#44 Mog

Mog

Mega Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 254 posts
  • Staff Position:Web Development
  • Jagex Name:Mog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

I have no idea... support other Jagex games... move onto Transformers? No clue... I'll be here to support you guys though. Let me know if anything I can do.
~ Mog

#45 Aenaid

Aenaid

Super Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 125 posts
  • Jagex Name:Aenaid

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:58 PM

Someone with tech skills on these forums should just actually build the game for them.

I hope your not serious. It is one thing to run a website and another to build a MMO.

A conservative estimate for the bare necessities to make an MMORPG is around 20 experienced people and $1.5 million dollars.

You mean a good MMORPG, right? I'm sure somebody drunk off his ass with a bit of coding knowledge can make an MMORPG. Infact, I've seen it done, just ask Melook about HC.

Andrew Gower first made RuneScape in his parent's house on his own? Pretty sure it doesn't take too much.
Posted Image

#46 xxshady

xxshady

Consigliere

• SDC Member+++
  • 965 posts
  • Jagex Name:xxshady

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

Play RSC and then compare it to an actual MMO.

#47 Cursed

Cursed

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 409 posts
  • Staff Position:Researcher
  • Jagex Name:crazyclown36

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:05 AM

RSC is an actual MMO.

If someone has enough skill, motivation and time they can make a top notch video game. It CAN be done, just not easily.

I wonder...

#48 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:40 AM

Ok, ok, let me clarify. No one person can make an MMO considered decent by the today's standards, it would take a team of a 20+ people and a 7 figure budget. That is not to say that having a team of a 20+ people and a 7 figure budget guarantees a good MMO, rather, it can still fail terribly, as we and others have seen.

Very decent games (albeit not as well polished as a AAA game) can be made by one person; but not MMOs. MMOs require massive server infrastructure, and there is very little game engine support. You can't get an MMO server in a box; almost everybody develops their own server software, and those that do license server software charge high six figures per license. The sheer amount of art and sound is also extremely daunting. On the contrary, you can make a single player game off of Unity and be up and running in no time.

#49 xxshady

xxshady

Consigliere

• SDC Member+++
  • 965 posts
  • Jagex Name:xxshady

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:53 AM

RSC is an actual MMO.

If someone has enough skill, motivation and time they can make a top notch video game. It CAN be done, just not easily.

Nice standards Posted Image

#50 grux12

grux12

King of SDC

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,703 posts
  • Jagex Name:Vax Glorium

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Not surprised. At all.

Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair:
Your works and mine shall be esteemed as naught-
Less even than dust, for dust, at least, endures.
We must not fear the dream of death, for death is just a sleep,
And there is always sleep between part and meet with our hollow words on an empty street.
So now we'll part like we're meant to do
And in a world without you,
I'll dream of you...
For my Commendatore has come.

#51 Sondre

Sondre

Super Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 154 posts
  • Jagex Name:Sonny1991

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

It's been one heck of a journey. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the future brings.

#52 unorclan

unorclan

It's The Real Thing!

• Retired
  • 1,283 posts
  • Jagex Name:Bookgeek

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:25 PM

If my memory serves me right - this community survived for months to years on the faint rumor of "Mechscape" during a time when Jagex refused to even recognize its existence. And still this community grew and became what it is today.

We've been waiting for 5 years. I think everyone has enjoyed it.

Retired MSW Senior Moderator

#53 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts
  • Jagex Name:CaiusDominus

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:07 PM

Ok, ok, let me clarify. No one person can make an MMO considered decent by the today's standards, it would take a team of a 20+ people and a 7 figure budget. That is not to say that having a team of a 20+ people and a 7 figure budget guarantees a good MMO, rather, it can still fail terribly, as we and others have seen.

Very decent games (albeit not as well polished as a AAA game) can be made by one person; but not MMOs. MMOs require massive server infrastructure, and there is very little game engine support. You can't get an MMO server in a box; almost everybody develops their own server software, and those that do license server software charge high six figures per license. The sheer amount of art and sound is also extremely daunting. On the contrary, you can make a single player game off of Unity and be up and running in no time.

If a little kid can launch a legoman into suborbital space on a mere $300 budget compared to what normally takes $500 million to $30 billion dollars just to do that via a Government/corporate project, then one person can definitely make a reasonably decent mmo, or atleast a working prototype that is still decent for less than half the cost of what a big studio can do.

While there are various reasons why corporate projects cost millions, most of that money is burned through nothing but constant board meetings, and think-tanks and more thinking and more thinking, and wait for it, even more thinking after the previous thoughts have been thought. I'de say very little of the actual budget actually goes towards the game itself, the rest is burnt on what i just said, plus various salaries, bonuses, corporate jets, lavish dinners, other waste, etc.

If anything one could buy the necessary software and other equipment for maybe under $10,000 dollars, maybe no higher than $20,000 and churn out something decent in the way of an mmo that can bring in the money before it becomes necessary to hire additional people to handle the expanding game and resulting population of players.
Retired RS Racketeer & Clansman

-: Veritas Et Honorum :-

#54 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:01 AM

Did you read? The necessary software (an mmo engine) costs six figures. Most studios develop their engines themselves. You'd have to be not only a genius programmer willing to work long hours, but an awesome drawer, modeler, animator, writer, hardware person, etc. Anything one person turns out is not going to begin to compare like what a studio turns out.

Your legoman versus government satellite comparison is flawed. What use is a legoman versus what these governments put up?

#55 Ides

Ides

Soul Raven

• Retired
  • 9,333 posts
  • Staff Position:Programmer
  • Jagex Name:Idest

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

Did you read? The necessary software (an mmo engine) costs six figures. Most studios develop their engines themselves. You'd have to be not only a genius programmer willing to work long hours, but an awesome drawer, modeler, animator, writer, hardware person, etc. Anything one person turns out is not going to begin to compare like what a studio turns out.

Your legoman versus government satellite comparison is flawed. What use is a legoman versus what these governments put up?

How much are you willing to bet on that post?

#56 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:59 AM

The fact that it takes nasa hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions just to put a small object into suborbital space.

And the fact that Dell was able to build a reasonably reliable computer in his garage which started his business what normally took a big company many thousands of dollars to build.

#57 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

delete please

#58 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

How much are you willing to bet on that post?

Exactly which part of it? Keeping in mind that Unity, Unreal, etc. do NOT count as MMO engines. They are client side only.

The fact that it takes nasa hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions just to put a small object into suborbital space.

And the fact that Dell was able to build a reasonably reliable computer in his garage which started his business what normally took a big company many thousands of dollars to build.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suborbital_spaceflight_in_2009

NASA does not appear to be putting anything into suborbital space.

#59 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:01 AM

i was also referring to corporate projects as of recent that are doing their own suborbital projects that nasa is working with

#60 Eggs

Eggs

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,008 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

The difference between putting a legoman and Angelina Jolie into space is huge. I assume you mean something like SpaceShipOne? http://en.wikipedia....cecraft_flights

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users