#1 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

In March 2013 Timm Miles had to enter the hospital with severe Crohn's Disease. His hospital stay and surgery, along with outpatient care, will total tens of thousands of dollars. Without the ability to work he is facing much hardship. Your generous donation will go towards medical bills and living expenses of the Miles family.

You can donate here: http://www.giveforwa...leshospitalfund

I've done fundraisers for wildlife, for the earth and for the arts, but I've never fundraised for a person before. Lester Timm Miles is my co-worker and friend. Please consider donating or sending him well-wishes. If you can't donate now, please share the fundraising page with your friends.

And................

From now until May 31st, if you donate any amount to the fundraiser, you will be granted permanent access to our donor forums and a special donor signature.

There may be more to come so please check back later!

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#2 Unique

Unique

Maclura pomifera!

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,209 posts
  • Jagex Name:OuterSpace

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

Advertising things is easy. Donate to an art school if you enjoy looking at art, donate to CleanupUK if you hate litter, but advertising a person is much more difficult isn't it? They have to have a skill, like a comedy routine, where donating means continuing to be able to enjoy their performances. If all they do is stick hvac parts in boxes all day no one outside of their circle of friends cares. They've got to play the sympathy card by appearing to be in a lot of pain and distress, and I don't think that works too well unless it's a baby since they're seen as a brand new life, full of potential or if it's a common household pet because they're a cute thing many people identify with. :unsure: He needs one of those youtube videos showing what a great person he was before, how he's no longer able to be an outstanding citizen, but he will be again if you donate money for surgery.

Although you're right, that's really mean.

I'm just thinking about how the world can be a cold place sometimes.

Edited by Unique, 25 April 2013 - 10:56 PM.

Signature

#3 PoultryChamp

PoultryChamp

Dotcommunism.

• Lead Administrator
  • 6,455 posts
  • Staff Position:Vampire
  • Jagex Name:PoultryChamp

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:19 PM

Advertising things is easy. Donate to an art school if you enjoy looking at art, donate to CleanupUK if you hate litter, but advertising people is much more difficult isn't it? They have to have a skill, like a comedy routine, where donating means continuing to be able to enjoy their performances. If all they do is stick hvac parts in boxes all day then they've got to play the sympathy card by appearing to be in a lot of pain and distress, and I don't think that works too well unless it's a baby or a common household pet. :unsure:

Although you're right, that's really mean.

"You can't stop the signal, Mal. Everything goes somewhere, and I go everywhere."

"And two, you dropped $150,000 on a fucking education you could have gotten for $1.50 in late charges at the public library."
"Yeah, but I will have a degree, and you'll be serving my kids fries at a drive-thru on our way to a skiing trip."
"Maybe. But at least I won't be unoriginal."

Facebook | Twitter | Website | Blog | LinkedIn | deviantART | Diigo
zeaZA.png sCSH7.png WSi59.png

#4 MC

MC

Invincible Mech

• Administrator
  • 3,566 posts
  • Staff Position:Moderator
  • Jagex Name:Mc_Comix_Yo

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

Advertising things is easy. Donate to an art school if you enjoy looking at art, donate to CleanupUK if you hate litter, but advertising people is much more difficult isn't it? They have to have a skill, like a comedy routine, where donating means continuing to be able to enjoy their performances. If all they do is stick hvac parts in boxes all day then they've got to play the sympathy card by appearing to be in a lot of pain and distress, and I don't think that works too well unless it's a baby or a common household pet. :unsure:

You could have just not replied to this topic instead of being a dick, you know.

#5 TechnoBulldog

TechnoBulldog

Meese Conscript

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,212 posts
  • Jagex Name:DebugM0de

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:41 AM

I am not at all trying to be cheap or uncaring here, but donating money to a person I don't know over the internet just feels strange. It feels like I would be donating to a faceless cause that may or may not be real and worth it. Donating to large organizations is fine because they are backed by their names; if you donate to the Red Cross, you know what your money will be used in a meaningful way. Donating money to a person you meet or know about isn't as bad either, because it's a more personal exchange where you know that your contribution is meaningful. With Mr. Miles, I only know that he's a man with a severe disease who is hospitalized and unable to support his family. While that alone is good reason to donate, it doesn't feel personal nor meaningful at all. At the moment, he is totally faceless; I know nothing about him. Donating to a random person who I know next to nothing about just feels strange.

Again, I don't at all want to come across as rude. I can obviously see that you care about him and that he matters to you.

Maybe you could tell us more about him? I realize that not everyone wants their life story available on an internet forum, but maybe if we knew a bit more about him, and maybe even had a picture of him or something, we might be able to connect with him a bit more. It's one thing to donate to a faceless person on the internet; it is another thing entirely to help a man you sympathize for through troubling times. I personally would feel much more comfortable donating to someone I knew more about, rather than just a name.

Unique does have a (somewhat harsh) point, but I would be more than happy to help an average man with life's burdens... I would just like to know a bit about him first. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels this way.

The invasion has begun.
Sometimes I lurk. Sometimes...
Message me if you need me.

#6 Dracul

Dracul

The Gobbler

• SDC Member++++
  • 4,251 posts
  • Jagex Name:CaiusDominus

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

In the timeless words of Ebenezer Scrooge : "Bah Humbug" :) Isn't Crohn's Disease that painful Ass hurting disease? Like, it truly hurts to high heaven to go to the shitter and drop a load down the waterways? I wasn't aware thee is a fix for it.
Retired RS Racketeer & Clansman

-: Veritas Et Honorum :-

#7 Niphoros

Niphoros

<3

• SDC Member++++
  • 3,443 posts
  • Jagex Name:Melook

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

I wish him the best of luck. Sadly I do not have any way to help. :/ 

#8 ProMetaAnaTelo

ProMetaAnaTelo

Eggroll Prince

• 3,909 posts
  • Jagex Name:TomRedwood

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

I would send some kind of help, but I've been $250 (After paying my initial $200 share) in debt to my Dentist the past two weeks, and I can't afford to spend money on anything.

I wish him the best.

#9 Honour

Honour

Ultra Mech

• SDC Member+++
  • 744 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 08:58 PM

america is a disgusting country when it comes to these issues

Zitat aus Damian
Ich wollte ja nichts als das zu leben versuchen, was von selber aus mir heraus wollte. Warum war das so sehr schwer?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users