#1 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts
  • Staff Position:Writer
  • Jagex Name:Zheph

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:01 AM

Note: The stuff written here is very old and my goals and ambitions have since changed. I can't be bothered keeping a neat first post anymore as I have portfolios floating around elsewhere now that I keep updated.

Posted Image

Greetings! I'll start by mentioning that recently I became adamant that what I truly want to do for a living is to be a CG artist, working in either gaming, film and television or advertising (gaming, preferably, which I'm currently working towards).

The story:
I accidentally got into 3D modeling last year when a group of my friends invited me to start up a team to create games using the open source 3D software: Blender.
We were all beginner's at the program and all aspects of it, so we decided we would choose who wanted to do which part of the game. There was the modeling and programming, while the group was led by the ever so confident and organised Angus.
Prior to that I was interested in becoming a programmer for games, so I chose to do that. But first I needed to get my head around Blender.
So over the weekend we all went home and fiddled with Blender, and on Monday I brought to school a high poly human model, water using an animated normal map which animated in real time, and a floor tile which used a bump map and tiling textures. They decided to make me the head modeler, and I wasn't complaining. I was loving modeling with Blender. I had previously been in a half year 3DS Max course, and could not for the life of me figure out how to use the program. It felt impractical and confusing.

Over the last year I've learned many techniques and tricks to modeling, but had never completed a full project. What you see above is, while very simple, my first fully completed project.

The aim of this thread is to provide me motivation to continue updating it with new things I create.
All these things will be available for all other artists at Stellar Dawn Central to use in creating signatures, avatars, backgrounds, you name it.

At the moment I am working on my own projects to implement the various techniques I've learned into completed scenes and models, as well as following tutorials to learn new techniques, but I will post all my completed work here, and anyone can request a certain camera angle, colour change or whatever (as long as it's simple) to the model/scene for use in whatever you like.

After a while I'd like to start taking requests from people for what they want me to make them, and for all the 2D artists on these forums, I think it would be great if you made concept art which I could work off.

If you want I can post WIPs and screendumps for those interested in how it's made.
Once again, feel free to request varying colour schemes for anything I make.

Here is the setup for the scene:
Posted Image
Camera view is on the left, while compositing nodes are on the right.
I used an empty which you can see on the end of the "H" (has arrows pointing along the y, z and x axis) to assign as the focus point for the DOF (depth of field). There is a defocus node on the right, which uses the DOF empty to, well, create depth of field (blurs out what's not in focus). Then it's put through a glare node which gives the streaks of light you can see coming off the brightest lights.

Here is a grassy plane I worked on for the day:
Posted Image
When I took a photo with my phone of the screen, I got this result:
Posted Image
I feel it added to the realism and the imperfection of the shot, although it did make everything look a little dead.

The 3D version of the grass image was here before, but since it didn't seem to work for everyone, I decided to take it down.

On page 3 I posted some renders of an atomic explosion. It was very basic and undetailed, so I didn't put them here.

Here is my current progress through the Blender Cookie 2010 training series:
Posted Image

Here's a fire simulation I did:

A quick water test:

Not much to say about this one... Just felt like making it:
Posted Image

I did a physically accurate render of the first image in this post just for fun (although I don't think it looks as good, and there is no post-processing):
Posted Image

After making the first one, my sister suggested I make an hourglass with the same look. So I present to you the glow in the dark hourglass!
Posted Image
It was originally going to be the hourglass on its own, before I realised that there was nothing to light the hourglass itself, so I threw in the lights from my scene before.
Full version (1920x1080): http://www.refractiv...=5948&mode=view

Some lights my Mum bought:
Posted Image

A designer chair rendered with a studio setup:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Killrrhubarb

Killrrhubarb

It's O for Awesome!

• Staff
  • 4,704 posts
  • Jagex Name:Killrrhubarb

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:35 AM

That 'very simple' 3D blender thing looks awesome! I look forward to seeing some of your work when it's finished.
Posted Image
Thanks Elitezeon for the awesome sig!

#3 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:53 AM

Thanks. I've updated the original post with a screen dump of the scene setup, and also a small explanation of how the post-processing was done (using the nodes).

#4 Laurie

Laurie

Responsible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,675 posts
  • Staff Position:Outreach
  • Jagex Name:Lord Laurie

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:15 AM

How do I download it? Link please :blush:

Posted Image

#5 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Stable: http://www.blender.o...ad/get-blender/
2.5 Alpha: http://www.blender.o...d/get-25-alpha/ (no installer yet, only a zip file)
The stable version is around 10-15mb, and the alpha is only 19mb. It's so small, yet so powerful! That's another reason why I love it. Its accessibility.

#6 Mad Mech

Mad Mech

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,217 posts
  • Jagex Name:xMad Reaperx

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Looks nice. I tried getting into Blender, but the interface was overwhelming. I will come back to it though, whenever I buy some books to learn.
Posted Image

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Earnes (Inception)

#7 Henricson

Henricson

Proud Member of the Troll Patrol, membership notwithstanding.

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts
  • Jagex Name:Henry Erison

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:13 PM

I can't come to Mechscapeworld without becoming depressed now as well... Great...

Zheph, your signature thingy is excellent... Which is why it depresses me. But my problems are of no importance...

Good work, Zheph.
Content Goes Here.

#8 TechnoBulldog

TechnoBulldog

Meese Conscript

• SDC Member++++
  • 1,212 posts
  • Jagex Name:DebugM0de

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:11 PM

Looks pretty nice! I've got blender installed, but I've never really messed around with it. I think I tried once, but I was never able to make anything. It's pretty cool seeing that.

Do you have any idea how to export them to OGRE .mesh files? Let me know if you do lol, I might need some help. Well, actually, no probably not. But good work, really.

The invasion has begun.
Sometimes I lurk. Sometimes...
Message me if you need me.

#9 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:49 AM

Yes. There is an exporter you can find here: http://www.ogre3d.or.../OGRE_Exporters
I don't know if it will work with 2.5, but it should definitely work with 2.48.

#10 Lord John

Lord John

Legendary Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 7,633 posts
  • Jagex Name:Lord Janas

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

Awesome! Looks like something from Portal :turned:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Thanks Kakashi for the great sig!

#11 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Yeah, I thought the same thing. It's in my plans to recreate one of the mechanical eyes, and also my very own weighted companion cube!
Also, thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

OK, currently in the works is a bookshelf and a troll based off Jagex concept art. It will be kept low poly, with a low detail (solid coloured textures) and high detail version of the models, fit for implementation into RuneScape (even though they never will). It's all part of practicing what the industry demands.

Edit: Scratch that. I'll do them after I finish this nice outdoor scene I got hooked on making.

#12 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

I've added new images/renders of a grassy plane I spent the day making. It was a frustrating process in which I made many mistakes, and completely went off the rails at points. By the time I realised, I'd have to scrap about half an hours work and load one of my backups.

#13 Killrrhubarb

Killrrhubarb

It's O for Awesome!

• Staff
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:23 PM

Both the grass scenes look realistic, the one at the top looks like the ground has had plenty of moisture, while the other one looks like it hasn't. The flowers that mysteriously went black kinda make the top one not look as good, though.

I don't have any 3D glasses so I can't comment on the 3D one.
Posted Image

#14 Mad Mech

Mad Mech

Invincible Mech

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,217 posts
  • Jagex Name:xMad Reaperx

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Grass looks great! I need to hurry up and learn how to use Blender :tongue:
Posted Image

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling." - Earnes (Inception)

#15 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:19 AM

Ok, I've made the flowers emit light so they're a bit brighter and not so... Black. Question is, are they too bright? Does it look off?.
Posted Image

#16 Killrrhubarb

Killrrhubarb

It's O for Awesome!

• Staff
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:38 AM

No, they don't look like they emit too much light. Perfect actually. I, however, thing there are too much flowers, especially on the left hand side and up the top.
Posted Image

#17 Henricson

Henricson

Proud Member of the Troll Patrol, membership notwithstanding.

• SDC Member++++
  • 2,411 posts
  • Jagex Name:Henry Erison

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

Flowers could be a brighter shade of yellow, perhaps daisies or poppies. Other than that, it's spot on.
Content Goes Here.

#18 Zheph

Zheph

Invincible Mech

• Staff
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

I've taken both of your advice and here is the final result:
Posted Image